I am not a kimchi expert but I wanted to create this recipe because it is very easy to make, quick and damn tasty. kimchi salad is a Korean traditional side dish made from salted and fermented vegetables. A delicious blend of sweet and spicy flavors. You can also enjoy this recipe with grilled meat or chicken. Here is the kimchi salad recipe. Hope you will enjoy this recipe.
1/2 a Napa cabbage (Chinese Cabbage)
1/4 cup salt
2 Tablespoon crushed red chilli flakes
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon chopped ginger
1 red chilli finely chopped with the garlic or ginger
3-4 sliced green onions (Spring Onions), You can utilize all of the green parts also
1/4 white onion
1/4 ripe apple
1/4 ripe pear
1 jar of 1 ltr limit or a few jars whose joined volume is no less than 1 liter
*Separate the cabbage leaves and chop into bite-size pieces.
*Dissolve the salt in a bowl of warm water, then pour the brine over cabbage leaves. Give the cabbage a gentle toss to distribute salt water. Allow it to sit for at least four hours, or overnight.
*Drain the cabbage and rinse it well to remove excess salt, and after that exchange it to a substantial bowl.
*Prepare the chilli paste. Combine the red chilli flakes with a little warm water, mixing delicately to make a red chilli paste, then transfer the paste to the drained and rinsed cabbage leave
*Add the chopped garlic & ginger, the red chilli (sliced or chopped) and the green onions to the cabbage.
*Now, mix the white onion, apple, and pear with some water, at that point add this common sweetener to the cabbage.
*Mix all the ingredients with the wooden spoon.
*Exchange prepared cabbage leaves into a clean large glass jar making sure to leave a few inches of space at the top of the jar for carbon dioxide
*Leave the jar at a room temperature for 24 to 72 hrs and after that
*Your kimchi salad is ready. seal the jar and place in the fridge for several months.
- You can also use Korean crushed chilli flakes which are called ko choo karoo which is available from an Asian or Korean store.
- You can also add some carrots in the kimchi salad.
- You can use your hand for rather than a wooden spoon for mixing all the ingredients for a better result.
- Most traditional kimchi is made with fish sauce. If you are a non-vegetarian then you can use the fish sauce also in this recipe.
- You can also enjoy kimchi by adding it on scrambled eggs, tacos, fried rice, also top a rice bowl with kimchi.